There is only beauty—and it has only one perfect expression—poetry. All the rest is a lie—except for those who live by the body, love, and, that love of the mind, friendship. For me, Poetry takes the place of love, because it is enamored of itself, and because its sensual delight falls back deliciously in my soul.
Topics: Poets, Poetry
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Gerard de Nerval French Poet, Writer
- Paul Valery French Critic, Poet
- Nicolas Boileau-Despreaux French Literary Critic
- Alfred de Musset French Poet, Playwright
- Michel Leiris French Surrealist Writer, Ethnographer
- Charles Baudelaire French Poet
- Arthur Rimbaud French Poet
- Remy de Gourmont French Poet
- Benjamin Jowett British Theologian
- George Eliot (Mary Anne Evans) English Novelist