A primary function of art and thought is to liberate the individual from the tyranny of his culture in the environmental sense and to permit him to stand beyond it in an autonomy of perception and judgment.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Ralph Ellison American Novelist
- Stephen Vincent Benet American Poet
- John Irving American Novelist
- John Cheever American Novelist
- Richard Wright American Novelist, Short-Story Writer
- Susan Sontag American Writer, Philosopher
- John Dos Passos American Novelist, Artist
- Larry McMurtry American Novelist
- Thomas Wolfe American Novelist
- Harold Bloom American Literary Critic, Author