Nowadays, anyone who wishes to combat lies and ignorance and to write the truth must overcome at least five difficulties. He must have the courage to write the truth when truth is everywhere opposed; the keenness to recognize it, although it is everywhere concealed; the skill to manipulate it as a weapon; the judgment to select those in whose hands it will be effective; and the cunning to spread the truth among such persons.
A man who sees another man on the street corner with only a stump for an arm will be so shocked the first time he’ll give him sixpence. But the second time it’ll only be a three penny bit. And if he sees him a third time, he’ll have him cold-bloodedly handed over to the police.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe German Poet
- Friedrich Schiller German Poet
- Berthold Auerbach German Novelist
- Friedrich Gottlieb Klopstock German Poet
- Carl Zuckmayer German Playwright
- Hans Carossa German Novelist
- Erich Fromm German Social Philosopher
- Gotthold Ephraim Lessing German Writer
- Henrik Ibsen Norwegian Playwright
- Werner Heisenberg German Theoretical Physicist