The family is the school of duties. But it has this distinguishing excellency, that among those who are linked together by the strong ties of affection duty is founded on love.
An optimist is a person who sees only the lights in the picture, whereas a pessimist sees only the shadows. An idealist, however, is one who sees the light and the shadows, but in addition sees something else: the possibility of changing the picture, of making the lights prevail over the shadows.
Topics: Optimism, Ideals
The hero is the one who kindles a great light in the world, who sets up blazing torches in the dark streets of life for men to see by. The saint is the man who walks through the dark paths of the world, himself a light.
Topics: Heroes/Heroism, Heroes
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Erich Fromm German Social Philosopher
- Albert Einstein German-born Theoretical Physicist
- Emma Goldman American Anarchist
- Berthold Auerbach German Novelist
- Jane Addams American Social Reformer
- Margaret Sanger American Social Reformer
- Abraham Joshua Heschel American Jewish Rabbi
- Moses Mendelssohn German Jewish Philosopher
- Upton Sinclair American Novelist, Social Reformer
- Murray Bookchin American Political Thinker