was that I was a person with dignity and self-respect, and I should not set my sights lower than anybody else just because I was black.
I am leaving this legacy to all of you … to bring peace, justice, equality, love and a fulfillment of what our lives should be. Without vision, the people will perish, and without courage and inspiration, dreams will die—the dream of freedom and peace.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Martin Luther King, Jr. American Civil Rights Leader
- Whitney Young American Civil Rights Leader
- Jesse Jackson American Baptist Civil Rights Activist
- Susan B. Anthony American Civil Rights Leader
- Carrie Chapman Catt American Suffragist
- W. E. B. Du Bois American Sociologist, Activist
- Marian Wright Edelman American Civil Regrets Advocate
- Hyman G. Rickover American Admiral
- Colin Powell American Military Leader
- The 14th Dalai Lama Tibetan Buddhist Religious Leader