To choose a hardship for ourselves is our only defense against that hardship. This is what is meant by accepting suffering. Those who, by their very nature, can suffer completely, utterly, have an advantage. That is how we can disarm the power of suffering, make it our own creation, our own choice; submit to it. A justification for suicide.
Living is like working out a long addition sum, and if you make a mistake in the first two totals you will never find the right answer. It means involving oneself in a complicated chain of circumstances.
Topics: Life and Living
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Gerard de Nerval French Poet, Writer
- Guy Debord French Philosopher
- Lucan (Marcus Annaeus Lucanus) Roman Statesman, Poet
- Karl Marx German Philosopher, Economist
- Leon Trotsky Russian Revolutionary
- Abbie Hoffman American Political Activist
- Arthur Koestler British Writer, Journalist
- Vladimir Lenin Russian Revolutionary Leader
- Joseph Stalin Soviet Leader
- Marguerite Duras French Novelist, Playwright