Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.
People talk about the conscience, but it seems to me one must just bring it up to a certain point and leave it there. You can let your conscience alone if you’re nice to the second housemaid.
Experience was to be taken as showing that one might get a five-pound note as one got a light for a cigarette; but one had to check the friendly impulse to ask for it in the same way.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- T. S. Eliot American-born British Poet
- Nancy Astor, Viscountess Astor American-born British Politician
- Dorothy L. Sayers English Novelist, Playwright
- Phyllis Bottome British Novelist
- Graham Greene British Novelist
- Louis Leo Snyder American-born German Scholar
- Israel Zangwill English Writer, Political Activist
- Dodie Smith British Novelist
- Langston Hughes American Poet, Writer
- Agatha Christie British Novelist