Madam your wife and I didn’t hit it off the only time I ever saw her. I won’t say she was silly, but I think one of us was silly, and it wasn’t me.
Loyalty and obedience to wisdom and justice are fine; but it is still finer to defy arbitrary power, unjustly and cruelly used—not on behalf of ourselves, but on behalf of others more helpless.
People may flatter themselves just as much by thinking that their faults are always present to other people’s minds, as if they believe that the world is always contemplating their individual charms and virtues.
He could not forget the touch of her arms around his neck, impatiently felt as it had been at the time; but now the recollection of her clinging defence of him, seemed to thrill him through and through,—to melt away every resolution, all power of self-control, as if it were wax before a fire
I’ll not listen to reason … . Reason always means what someone else has got to say.
My heart burnt within me with indignation and grief; we could think of nothing else. All night long we had only snatches of sleep, waking up perpetually to the sense of a great shock and grief. Every one is feeling the same. I never knew so universal a feeling.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie English Novelist, Biographer
- Charles Reade British Author
- Wilkie Collins English Novelist, Playwright
- Charlotte Bronte English Novelist, Poet
- George Eliot (Mary Anne Evans) English Novelist
- Emily Bronte English Novelist, Poet
- Anne Bronte English Novelist, Poet
- Ouida (Maria Louise Rame) English Novelist
- Mary Elizabeth Braddon English Novelist
- Laurence Housman English Novelist, Dramatist