Anyone who has been to an English public school will always feel comparatively at home in prison. It is the people brought up in the gay intimacy of the slums who find prison so soul-destroying.
Other nations use “force”; we Britons alone use “Might.”
Don’t give your opinions about Art and the Purpose of Life. They are of little interest and, anyway, you can’t express them. Don’t analyze yourself. Give the relevant facts and let your readers make their own judgments. Stick to your story. It is not the most important subject in history but it is one about which you are uniquely qualified to speak.
It is a curious thing that every creed promises a paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for anyone of civilized taste.
His courtesy was somewhat extravagant. He would write and thank people who wrote to thank him for wedding presents and when he encountered anyone as punctilious as himself the correspondence ended only with death.
If, for instance, they have heard something from the postman, they attribute it to “a semi-official statement”; if they have fallen into conversation with a stranger at a bar, they can conscientiously describe him as “a source that has hitherto proved unimpeachable.” It is only when the journalist is reporting a whim of his own, and one to which he attaches minor importance, that he defines it as the opinion of “well-informed circles.”
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Israel Zangwill English Writer, Political Activist
- A. P. Herbert English Humorist
- Graham Greene British Novelist
- Anthony Powell English Novelist
- Henry Fielding English Novelist
- Thomas Love Peacock English Satirist
- George Borrow English Writer, Traveler
- Dinah Craik English Novelist, Poet
- Malcolm Muggeridge English Journalist
- Anthony Trollope English Novelist