Ever since there have been men, man has given himself over to too little joy. That alone, my brothers, is our original sin. I should believe only in a God who understood how to dance.
There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
To look at something as though we had never seen it before requires great courage.
What I dream of is an art of balance, of purity and serenity devoid of troubling or depressing subject matter … a soothing, calming influence on the mind, rather like a good armchair which provides relaxation from physical fatigue.
With color one obtains an energy that seems to stem from witchcraft.
The sign for which I forge an image has no value if it doesn’t harmonize with other signs, which I must determine in the course of my invention and which are completely peculiar to it.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Bainbridge Colby American Politician
- Auguste Rodin French Sculptor
- Hans Hofmann American Painter
- Stephen Leacock Canadian Humorist
- Harvey Williams Cushing American Neurosurgeon, Biographer
- Emma Goldman American Anarchist
- William Strunk, Jr. American Writer
- Edgar Degas French Painter
- Paul Gauguin French Painter
- Pablo Picasso Spanish Painter