It is now widely believed (and, I think, correctly believed) that the survival of a nation under modern competitive conditions depends on broadening the electorate’s competency in numerate matters. Numeracy.
Individualism is cherished because it produces freedom, but the gift is conditional.
A coldly rationalist individualist can deny that he has any obligation to make sacrifices for the future.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Stewart Brand American Writer
- David Starr Jordan American Zoologist
- Paul Hawken American Environmentalist
- E. O. Wilson American Sociobiologist
- Edward Thorndike American Psychologist
- Nikola Tesla Serbian-American Inventor
- Robert Andrews Millikan American Physicist
- Margaret Sanger American Social Reformer
- Elizabeth Blackwell American Physician
- Alexander Graham Bell Scottish-born American Inventor