A coldly rationalist individualist can deny that he has any obligation to make sacrifices for the future.
It is now widely believed (and, I think, correctly believed) that the survival of a nation under modern competitive conditions depends on broadening the electorate’s competency in numerate matters. Numeracy.
Individualism is cherished because it produces freedom, but the gift is conditional.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Stewart Brand American Writer
- David Starr Jordan American Zoologist
- E. O. Wilson American Sociobiologist
- Paul Hawken American Environmentalist
- Alexander Graham Bell Scottish-born American Inventor
- Nikola Tesla Serbian-American Inventor
- Robert Andrews Millikan American Physicist
- Victoria Woodhull American Social Reformer
- Elizabeth Blackwell American Physician
- Edward Thorndike American Psychologist