Life imitates art far more than art imitates life.
One should never listen. To listen is a sign of indifference to one’s hearers.
I never approve, or disapprove, of anything now. It is an absurd attitude to take towards life. We are not sent into the world to air our moral prejudices. I never take any notice of what common people say, and I never interfere with what charming people do.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Fashion is what one wears oneself. What is unfashionable is what other people wear.
All great ideas are dangerous.
The great events of life often leave one unmoved; they pass out of consciousness, and, when one thinks of them, become unreal. Even the scarlet flowers of passion seem to grow in the same meadow as the poppies of oblivion.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Sheridan Le Fanu Irish Novelist
- Jonathan Swift Irish Satirist
- Brendan Behan Irish Poet
- William Butler Yeats Irish Poet
- James Joyce Irish Novelist
- Oliver Goldsmith Anglo-Irish Novelist, Poet
- George William Russell Irish Author
- Elizabeth Bowen Irish Novelist
- George Bernard Shaw Irish Playwright
- Marguerite Gardiner, Countess of Blessington Irish Novelist