Style is not neutral; it gives moral directions.
Sometimes I feel that life is passing me by, not slowly either, but with ropes of steam and spark-spattered wheels and a hoarse roar of power or terror. It’s passing, yet I’m the one who’s doing all the moving.
Life is made of fear. Some people eat fear soup three times a day. Some people eat fear soup all the meals there are. I eat it sometimes. When they bring me fear soup to eat, I try not to eat it, I try to send it back. But sometimes I’m too afraid to and have to eat it anyway.
More will mean worse.
Money doesn’t mind if we say it’s evil, it goes from strength to strength. It’s a fiction, an addiction, and a tacit conspiracy.
Addictions do come in handy sometimes: at least you have to get out of bed for them.
Bullets cannot be recalled. They cannot be uninvented. But they can be taken out of the gun.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Margaret Drabble English Novelist
- J. G. Ballard English Novelist
- E. M. Forster English Novelist
- Doris Lessing British Novelist, Poet
- H. G. Wells English Novelist, Historian
- Graham Greene British Novelist
- Brian Aldiss English Novelist
- Joyce Carol Oates American Novelist
- Jeanette Winterson English Novelist
- P. D. James British Novelist