Beauty must appeal to the senses, must provide us with immediate enjoyment, must impress us or insinuate itself into us without any effort on our part.
Music is the space between the notes.
Do not allow the accents in the brass to produce space between the notes.
How much has to be explored and discarded before reaching the naked flesh of feeling.
Collect impressions. Don’t be in a hurry to write them down. Because that’s something music can do better than painting: it can centralise variations of colour and light within a single picture—a truth generally ignored, obvious as it is.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. I love music passionately. And because l love it, I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it. It is a free art gushing forth, an open-air art boundless as the elements, the wind, the sky, the sea. It must never be shut in and become an academic art.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Hector Berlioz French Composer
- John Cage American Composer
- Igor Stravinsky Russian-born American Composer
- Stephen Sondheim American Musician
- Jean Sibelius Finnish Composer
- Gian Carlo Menotti Italian-born American Composer
- Ludwig van Beethoven German Composer
- Frank Zappa American Rock Guitarist, Singer, Composer
- Johann Sebastian Bach German Composer
- Arthur Rubinstein American Pianist