People are beginning to see that the first requisite to success in life is to be a good animal.
All socialism involves slavery. That which fundamentally distinguishes the slave is that he labours under coercion to satisfy anothers desires.
Education has for its object the formation of character. To curb restive propensities, to awaken dormant sentiments, to strengthen the perceptions, and cultivate the tastes, to encourage this feeling and repress that, so as finally to develop the child into a man of well proportioned and harmonious naturethis is alike the aim of parent and teacher.
The wise man must remember that while he is a descendant of the past, he is a parent of the future.
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
No one can be perfectly free till all are free; no one can be perfectly moral till all are moral; no one can be perfectly happy till all are happy.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- William Graham Sumner American Polymath
- John Stuart Mill English Philosopher, Economist
- Masanobu Fukuoka Japanese Buddhist Polymath
- Rabindranath Tagore Bengali Poet, Polymath
- Robert Anton Wilson American Polymath
- Leonardo da Vinci Italian Polymath
- Francis Bacon English Philosopher
- Alfred North Whitehead English Mathematician, Philosopher
- Roger Bacon English Philosopher
- John Ruskin English Art Critic