He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt.
There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for ones own safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didnt, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didnt have to; but if he didnt want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.
Insanity is contagious.
Success and failure are both difficult to endure. Along with success come drugs, divorce, fornication, bullying, travel, meditation, medication, depression, neurosis and suicide. With failure comes failure.
Topics: Success, Failure
Like Olympic medals and tennis trophies, all they signified was that the owner had done something of no benefit to anyone more capably than everyone else.
Destiny is a good thing to accept when it’s going your way. When it isn’t, don’t call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Ben Hecht American Screenwriter
- Norman Mailer American Novelist, Journalist
- Don DeLillo American Author
- William Goldman Hollywood Screenwriter
- Sinclair Lewis American Novelist
- Raymond Chandler American Novelist
- Howard Zinn American Historian, Activist
- Truman Capote American Novelist
- William Saroyan American Playwright, Novelist
- Russell Hoban American Author