For we have thought the longer thoughts
And gone the shorter way.
And we have danced to devil’s tunes
Shivering home to pray;
I take you now and for always,
For always is always now.
Life has a practice of living you, if you don’t live it.
Topics: Life and Living
Sexual intercourse began in 1963 (which was rather late for me)—Between the end of the Chatterley ban and the Beatles first LP.
I think writing about unhappiness is probably the source of my popularity, if I have any-after all, most people are unhappy, don’t you think?
The only way to eliminate unemployment is to eliminate unemployment benefits.
My mother, who hates thunderstorms,
Holds up each summer day and shakes
It out suspiciously, lest swarms
Of grape-dark clouds are lurking there….
Why should I let the toad work Squat on my life? Can’t I use my wit as a pitchfork and drive the brute off?
Since the majority of me
Rejects the majority of you,
Debating ends forthwith, and we
Above all, though, children are linked to adults by the simple fact that they are in process of turning into them. For this they may be forgiven much. Children are bound to be inferior to adults, or there is no incentive to grow up.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge English Poet
- Percy Bysshe Shelley English Poet
- Letitia Elizabeth Landon English Poet, Novelist
- Lady Mary Wortley Montagu English Aristocrat, Poet
- Algernon Charles Swinburne English Poet
- John Masefield English Poet
- Francis Thompson English Poet
- Edmund Spenser English Poet
- Philip James Bailey English Poet
- Anne Bradstreet American Poet