True music must repeat the thought and inspirations of the people and the time. My people are Americans and my time is today.
The composer does not sit around and wait for an inspiration to walk up and introduce itself… Making music is actually little else than a matter of invention aided and abetted by emotion. In composing we combine what we know of music with what we feel.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Leonard Bernstein American Composer, Conductor
- Aaron Copland American Composer
- Arthur Rubinstein American Pianist
- Irving Berlin American Composer
- Studs Terkel American Oral Historian
- Vladimir Horowitz Russian-born American Pianist
- Oscar Levant American Musician
- Duke Ellington American Musician
- John Cage American Composer
- Claude Debussy French Composer