The greatest man living may stand in need of the meanest, as much as the meanest does of him.
First get an absolute conquest over thyself, and then thou wilt easily govern thy wife.
Many have been the wise speeches of fools, though not so many as the foolish speeches of wise men.
The real difference between men is energy. A strong will, a settled purpose, an invincible determination, can accomplish almost anything; and in this lies the distinction between great men and little men.
Topics: Enthusiasm, Success, Men
How weak a thing is gentility, if it wants virtue!
If it were not for hope, the heart would break.
Conceit not so high an opinion of any one as to be bashful and impotent in their presence.
One cloud is enough to eclipse all the sun.
It is much better to have your gold in the hand than in the heart.
He is a good man whom fortune makes better.
A man in passion rides a horse that runs away with him.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Arnold J. Toynbee British Historian
- Dorothy L. Sayers English Novelist, Playwright
- Enoch Powell British Politician
- Winston Churchill British Head of State
- Francis Bacon English Philosopher
- William Wordsworth English Poet
- Isaac Newton English Physicist
- Joseph Addison English Poet, Playwright, Politician
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge English Poet
- John Locke English Philosopher