It is not good for all our wishes to be filled; through sickness we recognize the value of health; through evil, the value of good; through hunger, the value of food; through exertion, the value of rest.
—Dorothy Canfield Fisher
Topics: Wisdom, Adversity
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Cynthia Ozick American Novelist, Essayist
- Lydia Davis American Author
- Raymond Chandler American Novelist
- Amy Tan Chinese-American Novelist
- Lionel Trilling American Critic
- Zora Neale Hurston American Novelist
- Flannery O’Connor American Novelist
- Lisa Alther American Novelist
- Katherine Anne Porter American Writer
- Joyce Carol Oates American Novelist