It is not good for all our wishes to be filled; through sickness we recognize the value of health; through evil, the value of good; through hunger, the value of food; through exertion, the value of rest.
—Dorothy Canfield Fisher
Topics: Wisdom, Adversity
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Lydia Davis American Author
- Amy Tan Chinese-American Novelist
- Cynthia Ozick American Novelist, Essayist
- Zora Neale Hurston American Novelist
- Flannery O’Connor American Novelist
- Lisa Alther American Novelist
- Ludwig Lewisohn American Novelist, Essayist
- Emily Post American Writer, Socialite
- Edith Wharton American Novelist, Short-story Writer
- Carol Shields Canadian Author, Academic