God is a character, a real and consistent being, or He is nothing. If God did a miracle He would deny His own nature and the universe would simply blow up, vanish, become nothing.
Love doesn’t grow on trees like apples in Eden – it’s something you have to make. And you must use your imagination too.
For me, the principal fact of life is the free mind. For good and evil, man is a free creative spirit. This produces the very queer world we live in, a world in continuous creation and therefore continuous change and insecurity. A perpetually new and lively world, but a dangerous one, full of tragedy and injustice. A world in everlasting conflict between the new idea and the old allegiances, new arts and new inventions against the old establishment.
Topics: Freedom, Change
Even the worst artist that ever was, even a one-eyed mental deficient with the shakes in both hands who sets out to paint the chicken-house, can enjoy the first stroke. Can think, By God, look what I’ve done. A miracle. … Must be one of the keenest pleasures open to mankind. It’s certainly the greatest an artist can have. It’s also the only one. And it doesn’t last long, usually about five minutes.
The will is never free—it is always attached to an object, a purpose. It is simply the engine in the car—it can’t steer.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Laurence Sterne Irish Anglican Novelist
- Elizabeth Bowen Irish Novelist
- Sheridan Le Fanu Irish Novelist
- James Joyce Irish Novelist
- Samuel Lover Irish Writer, Artist, Songwriter
- Marguerite Gardiner, Countess of Blessington Irish Novelist
- Brendan Behan Irish Poet
- Oscar Wilde Irish Poet, Playwright
- Oliver Goldsmith Anglo-Irish Novelist, Poet
- Jonathan Swift Irish Satirist