History repeats itself, but the special call of an art which has passed away is never reproduced. It is as utterly gone out of the world as the song of a destroyed wild bird.
It is respectable to have no illusions, and safe, and profitable and dull.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- George Orwell English Novelist, Essayist, Journalist
- Salman Rushdie Indian-born British Novelist
- Saki (Hector Hugh Munro) British Short Story Writer
- Ford Madox Ford English Novelist, Poet, Critic
- Raymond Chandler American-British Novelist
- Benjamin Disraeli British Head of State
- Frances Hodgson Burnett British Novelist, Playwright
- Maurice Baring British Author
- Anthony Burgess English Novelist, Critic
- Phyllis Bottome British Novelist