The most intangible, and therefore the worst kind of a lie, is a half-truth. — This is the peculiar device of the “conscientious” detractor.
The painter who is content with the praise of the world for what does not satisfy himself, is not an artist, but an artisan; for though his reward be only praise, his pay is that of a mechanic.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Edgar Allan Poe American Poet
- John Ciardi American Poet
- Thomas Bailey Aldrich American Writer
- Walt Whitman American Poet
- Emily Dickinson American Poet
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow American Poet
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox American Poet, Journalist
- James Russell Lowell American Poet, Critic
- Dorothy Parker American Humorist, Journalist
- John Greenleaf Whittier American Poet, Abolitionist