The primary function of myth is to validate an existing social order. Myth enshrines conservative social values, raising tradition on a pedestal. It expresses and confirms, rather than explains or questions, the sources of cultural attitudes and values. Because myth anchors the present in the past it is a sociological charter for a future society which is an exact replica of the present one.
Men are the enemies of women. Promising sublime intimacy, unequalled passion, amazing security and grace, they nevertheless exploit and injure in a myriad subtle ways. Without men the world would be a better place: softer, kinder, more loving; calmer, quieter, more humane.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Dorothy L. Sayers English Novelist, Playwright
- A. S. Byatt English Novelist, Poet
- Penelope Fitzgerald British Novelist, Biographer
- Joan Collins English Actress
- Julie Andrews British Actress, Singer
- Zadie Smith (b.1975) English Novelist, Essayist, Short-story Writer
- Linda Ellerbee American Journalist
- Alice Walker American Novelist, Activist
- Bob Brown
- Fannie Flagg American Comedian, Novelist