It is not the first duty of the novelist to provide blueprints for insurrection, or uplifting tales of successful resistance for the benefit of the opposition. The naming of what is there is what is important.
Topics: Literature, Books
One has to have the courage of one’s pessimism.
Not being boring is quite a challenge.
You enter a state of controlled passivity, you relax your grip and accept that even if your declared intention is to justify the ways of God to man, you might end up interesting your readers rather more in Satan.
Topics: Authors & Writing, Writers, Writing
By concentrating on what is good in people, by appealing to their idealism and their sense of justice, and by asking them to put their faith in the future, socialists put themselves at a severe disadvantage.
Topics: Socialism, Communism
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Terry Pratchett English Fantasy Writer
- Douglas Adams British Author
- John Fowles English Novelist
- Philip Pullman English Children’s Author, Dramatist
- Hanif Kureishi British Novelist, Screenwriter
- J. R. R. Tolkien British Philologist, Writer
- Edward Lear English Humorist, Illustrator
- Zadie Smith (b.1975) English Novelist, Essayist, Short-story Writer
- Robert Ranke Graves British Writer
- Stephen Fry English Actor, Writer