There is one expanding horror in American life. It is that our long odyssey toward liberty, democracy and freedom-for-all may be achieved in such a way that utopia remains forever closed, and we live in freedom and hell, debased of style, not individual from one another, void of courage, our fear rationalized away.
America is a hurricane, and the only people who do not hear the sound are those fortunate if incredibly stupid and smug White Protestants who live in the center, in the serene eye of the big wind.
Left-wingers are incapable of conspiring because they’re all egomaniacs.
Ultimately a hero is a man who would argue with the gods, and so awakens devils to contest his vision. The more a man can achieve, the more he may be certain that the devil will inhabit a part of his creation.
Topics: Heroes, Heroes/Heroism
Each day a few more lies eat into the seed with which we are born, little institutional lies from the print of newspapers, the shock waves of television, and the sentimental cheats of the movie screen.
Topics: Deception/Lying, Lies
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Cynthia Ozick American Novelist, Essayist
- Paul Auster American Novelist, Poet
- John Updike American Author
- Lloyd Alexander American Writer
- John Irving American Novelist
- Raymond Chandler American Novelist
- Don DeLillo American Author
- Peter Matthiessen American Naturalist, Novelist
- Sidney Sheldon American Novelist, Screenwriter
- Henry Adams American Historian