And a beautiful world we live in, when it is possible, and when many other such things are possible, and not only possible, but done under that sky there, every day.
If the law supposes that, said Mr. Bumble, the law is a assa idiot. If thats the eye of the law, the law is a bachelor; and the worst I wish the law is that his eye may be opened by experienceby experience.
A man in public life expects to be sneered at — it is the fault of his elevated situation, and not of himself.
No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.
Regrets are the natural property of gray hairs.
A prison taint was on everything there. The imprisoned air, the imprisoned light, the imprisoned damps, the imprisoned men, were all deteriorated by confinement. As the captive men were faded and haggard, so the iron was rusty, the stone was slimy, the wood was rotten, the air was faint, the light was dim. Like a well, like a vault, like a tomb, the prison had no knowledge of the brightness outside; and would have kept its polluted atmosphere intact, in one of the spice islands of the Indian Ocean.
Its very strange, said Mr. Dick that I never can get that quite right; I never can make that perfectly clear.
I never could have done what I have done without the habits of punctuality, order, and diligence, without the determination to concentrate myself on one subject at a time.
Happy, happy Christmas, that can win us back to the delusions of our childish days, that can recall to the old man the pleasures of his youth, and transport the sailor and the traveler, thousands of miles away, back to his own fireside and his quiet home!
Nature gives to every time and season some beauties of its own; and from morning to night, as from the cradle to the grave, it is but a succession of changes so gentle and easy that we can scarcely mark their progress.
Topics: Change, Nature
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Wilkie Collins (1824–89) English Novelist, Playwright, Short-story Writer
- Edward Lear English Humorist, Illustrator
- Thomas Hardy English Novelist, Poet
- Eden Phillpotts English Author, Poet, Dramatist
- J. R. R. Tolkien British Philologist, Writer
- Terry Pratchett English Fantasy Writer
- Hanif Kureishi British Novelist, Screenwriter
- Ian McEwan (b.1948) British Novelist, Short-story Writer
- Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie English Novelist, Biographer
- Dante Gabriel Rossetti British Poet, Artist