I have things in my head that are not like what anyone has taught me—shapes and ideas so near to me—so natural to my way of being and thinking that it hasn’t occurred to me to put them down.
When you take a flower in your hand and really look at it, it’s your world for the moment. I want to give that world to someone else. Most people in the city rush around so, they have no time to look at a flower. I want them to see it whether they want to or not.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Hans Hofmann American Painter
- Edward Hopper American Painter
- Marc Chagall French Painter, Graphic Artist
- Duke Ellington American Musician
- B. B. King American Blues Musician
- Hyman G. Rickover American Admiral
- Brooke Astor American Writer, Philanthropist
- Viggo Mortensen Danish American Actor
- Sandra Day O’Connor American Jurist
- Albert Szent-Gyorgyi Hungarian-American Biochemist