Compare society to a boat. Her progress through the water will not depend upon the exertion of her crew, but upon the exertion devoted to propelling her. This will be lessened by any expenditure of force in fighting among themselves, or in pulling in different directions.
Capital is a result of labor, and is used by labor to assist it in further production. Labor is the active and initial force, and labor is therefore the employer of capital.
How vainly shall we endeavor to repress crime by our barbarous punishment of the poorer class of criminals so long as children are reared in the brutalizing influences of poverty, so long as the bite of want drives men to crime.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Horace Greeley American Elected Rep
- Will Rogers American Humorist, Actor
- Vincent Price American Actor
- Sheryl Sandberg American Executive, Author
- L. Frank Baum American Writer
- Frank Sinatra American Singer
- Charlton Heston American Actor
- Fred Astaire American Dancer, Singer
- Frederick Douglass American Abolitionist
- John Neal American Author, Critic