Contradictions if well understood and managed can spark off the fires of invention. Orthodoxy whether of the right or of the left is the graveyard of creativity.
In such a regime, I say, you died a good death if your life had inspired someone to ome forward and shoot your murderer in the chest—without asking to be paid.
A man who makes trouble for others is also making trouble for himself.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Derek Walcott West Indian Poet
- Norman Mailer American Novelist, Journalist
- Reginald Horace Blyth British Japanologist
- Sandra Day O’Connor American Jurist
- John Barth American Novelist
- V. S. Naipaul Trinidadian-British Writer
- Harold Pinter British Playwright
- Edna O’Brien Irish Author
- Russell Hoban American Author
- Duke Ellington American Musician