That’s the terrible thing: the more one works on a picture, the more impossible it becomes to finish it.
In every work of art the subject is primordial, whether the artist knows it or not. The measure of the formal qualities is only a sign of the measure of the artist’s obsession with his subject; the form is always in proportion to the obsession.
Basically, I no longer work for anything but the sensation I have while working.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Auguste Rodin French Sculptor
- Hermann Hesse Swiss Novelist, Poet
- Carl Gustav Jung Swiss Psychologist
- Henri Frederic Amiel Swiss Philosopher, Writer
- Jean-Jacques Rousseau French Philosopher
- Johann Kaspar Lavater Swiss Theologian, Poet
- Jean Antoine Petit-Senn Swiss Poet
- Karl Barth Swiss Protestant Theologian
- Jean-luc Godard French-born Swiss Film Director
- Johann Heinrich Pestalozzi Swiss Educator