Dream is not a revelation. If a dream affords the dreamer some light on himself, it is not the person with closed eyes who makes the discovery but the person with open eyes lucid enough to fit thoughts together. Dream—a scintillating mirage surrounded by shadows—is essentially poetry.
Nothing seems more like a whorehouse to me than a museum. In it you find the same equivocal aspect, the same frozen quality.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Gerard de Nerval French Poet, Writer
- Alfred de Musset French Poet, Playwright
- Rosamond Lehmann English Novelist
- Stephane Mallarme French Poet
- Nicolas Boileau-Despreaux French Literary Critic
- Blaise Cendrars Swiss Poet, Writer
- Rene Dubos French-American Microbiologist, Author
- Antonin Artaud French Drama Theorist
- Barbara Cartland English Romantic Novelist
- Robert Bresson French Film Director