Washington once advised his adopted grandson that where there is no occasion for expressing an opinion, it is best to be silent. For there is nothing more certain than that it is at all times more easy to make enemies than friends.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- David McCullough American Historian
- Cynthia Ozick American Novelist, Essayist
- Joyce Carol Oates American Novelist
- Harvey Williams Cushing American Neurosurgeon, Biographer
- Joan Didion American Essayist, Novelist, Memoirist
- Maxine Hong Kingston American Novelist, Memoirist
- John Updike American Author
- Carol Dweck American Psychologist
- Henry Adams American Historian
- George F. Kennan American Diplomat, Historian