I would rather lose in a cause that I know some day will triumph than to triumph in a cause that I know some day will fail.
Freedom is an indivisible word. If we want to enjoy it, and fight for it, we must be prepared to extend it to everyone, whether they are rich or poor, whether they agree with us or not, no matter what their race or the color of their skin.
The test of good manners is to be able to put up pleasantly with bad ones.
In no direction that we turn do we find ease or comfort. If we are honest and if we have the will to win we find only danger, hard work and iron resolution.
It is from weakness that people reach for dictators and concentrated government power. Only the strong can be free. And only the productive can be strong.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Rudy Giuliani American Politician
- Thomas Brackett Reed American Politician
- Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin French Lawyer
- William Bennett American Politician
- Hugo Black American Politician
- Harry Browne American Politician
- Robert F. Kennedy American Politician
- Robert G. Ingersoll American Lawyer, Orator, Agnostic
- Horace Greeley American Elected Rep
- George Madison Adams American Politician