Ideas are the real substance of human life. Ideas guide our actions and even control our movements. It is just as well to put them in order first and then to display their anatomy.
Illness is not something a person has. It’s another way of being.
You spend ten years of your life being trained to do one thing, and you’re being taught to think that it’s the most serious thing that anyone could possibly do, and then suddenly you find yourself doing something that in some respects is the epitome of frivolity.
Topics: Life, Control, Ideas
What makes literature interesting is that it does not survive its translation. The characters in a novel are made out of the sentences. That’s what their substance is.
Topics: Literature, Books
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Richard Eyre British Director
- Oliver Sacks British Neurologist, Writer
- Harold Pinter British Playwright
- Douglas Adams British Author
- John Fowles English Novelist
- Ian McEwan (b.1948) British Novelist, Short-story Writer
- Stephen Fry English Actor, Writer
- Stephen Spender English Poet, Critic
- Arthur C. Clarke English Science-fiction Writer
- Philip Pullman English Children’s Author, Dramatist