Standing armies can never consist of resolute robust men; they may be well-disciplined machines, but they will seldom contain men under the influence of strong passions, or with very vigorous faculties.
Topics: The Military, Army, Navy
I do not wish them to have power over men, but over themselves.
Women are told from their infancy, and taught by the example of their mothers, that a little knowledge of human weakness, justly termed cunning, softness of temper, outward obedience and a scrupulous attention to a puerile kind of propriety, will obtain for them the protection of man.
Topics: Women, Men, Men & Women
The being cannot be termed rational or virtuous, who obeys any authority, but that of reason.
No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks.
I begin to love this creature,
and to anticipate her birth
as a fresh twist to a knot,
which I do not wish to untie
If the abstract rights of man will bear discussion and explanation, those of women, by a parity of reasoning, will not shrink from the same test: though a different opinion prevails in this country.
Topics: Explanation, Feminism, Women
Children, I grant, should be innocent; but when the epithet is applied to men, or women, it is but a civil term for weakness.
True happiness must arise from well-regulated affections, and an affection includes a duty.
Independence I have long considered as the grand blessing of life, the basis of every virtue; and independence I will ever secure by contracting my wants, though I were to live on a barren heath.
Taught from infancy that beauty is woman’s scepter, the mind shapes itself to the body, and roaming round its gilt cage, only seeks to adorn its prison.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- J. K. Rowling English Novelist
- Rudyard Kipling British Children’s Books Writer
- C. S. Lewis Irish-born Author, Scholar
- Ouida (Maria Louise Rame) English Novelist
- A. A. Milne British Humorist, Children’s Writer
- Humphrey Carpenter English Children’s Books Writer
- Russell Hoban American Author
- Theodor Seuss Geisel (‘Dr. Seuss’) American Children’s Books Writer
- James Whitcomb Riley American Children’s Books Writer
- Marie Chapian American Christian Writer