The whole object of education is, or should be, to develop mind. The mind should be a thing that works. It should be able to pass judgment on events as they arise, make decisions.
It may be true of all relationships, not only between fathers and sons, but between men and women. Nothing seems fixed. Everything is always changing. We seem to have very little control over our emotional life.
Interest in the lives of others, the high evaluation of these lives, what are they but the overflow of the interest a man finds in himself, the value he attributes to his own being?
Topics: Acceptance, Awareness, Realization
The life of reality is confused, disorderly, almost always without apparent purpose, whereas in the artist’s imaginative life there is purpose. … Most people are afraid to trust their imaginations and the artist is not.
I don’t want to frighten you, but I would like to make you understand the import of what you think of attempting. You must not become a mere peddler of words. The thing to learn is to know what people are thinking about, not what they say.
In the beginning when the world was young there were a great many thoughts but no such thing as truth. Man made the truths himself and each truth was a composite of a great many vague thoughts. All about in the world were truths and they were all beautiful.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Raymond Chandler American Novelist
- Norman Mailer American Novelist, Journalist
- Don DeLillo American Author
- Russell Hoban American Author
- John Irving American Novelist
- Dashiell Hammett American Crime Writer
- Joseph Heller American Novelist
- William Saroyan American Playwright, Novelist
- William Dean Howells American Writer, Critic
- Lionel Trilling American Critic