The creation of the spiritual was no accident. It was a creation born of necessity, so that the slave might more adequately adjust himself to the conditions of the New World.
It isn’t more light we need, it isn’t more truth, and it isn’t more scientific data. It is more Christ, more courage, more spiritual insight to act on the light we have.
It must be borne in mind that the tragedy of life doesn’t lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach. It isn’t a calamity to die with dreams unfulfilled, but it is a calamity not to dream. It is not a disaster to be unable to capture your ideal, but it is a disaster to have no ideal to capture. It is not a disgrace not to reach the stars, but it is a disgrace to have no stars to reach for. Not failure, but low aim is a sin.
Topics: Goal, Aspirations, Tragedy, Life, Goals
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- George Boardman the Younger American Baptist Minister
- Charles Sheldon American Christian Minister
- Russell Conwell American Baptist Minister
- Scudder Parker American Minister
- Thomas Wentworth Higginson American Reformer, Editor
- Thomas Starr King American Unitarian Minister
- Connie Zweig American Minister
- Charles L. Allen American Methodist Minister
- Bernice Johnson Reagon American Singer
- Martin Luther King, Jr. American Civil Rights Leader