Omit needless words. Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts.
—William Strunk, Jr.
Topics: Brevity, Writing
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Bainbridge Colby American Politician
- Emma Goldman American Anarchist
- Lloyd Alexander American Writer
- Freeman Dyson American Physicist, Author
- Walter Reuther American Labor Leader
- Charles Mingus American Jazz Bassist, Composer
- Stephen Leacock Canadian Humorist
- Henri Matisse French Painter, Sculptor
- Harvey Williams Cushing American Neurosurgeon, Biographer
- Abraham Maslow American Psychologist