Refuse to fall down. If you cannot refuse to fall down, refuse to stay down. If you cannot refuse to stay down, lift your heart toward heaven, and like a hungry beggar, ask that it be filled, and it will be filled. You may be pushed down. You may be kept from rising. But no one can keep you from lifting your heart toward heaven.
—Clarissa Pinkola Estes
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Charlotte Perkins Gilman American Feminist, Writer
- Alice Walker American Novelist, Activist
- Joyce Carol Oates American Novelist
- Audre Lorde American Poet, Feminist
- Grace Paley American Author
- Carolyn Kizer American Poet
- Emma Lazarus American Poet, Writer
- Sheryl Sandberg American Executive, Author
- Rita Mae Brown American Writer, Feminist
- Annie Dillard American Writer