But life is a battle: may we all be enabled to fight it well.
Men judge us by the success of our efforts. God looks at the efforts themselves.
Reason sits firm and holds the reins, and she will not let the feelings burst away and hurry her to wild chasms. The passions may rage furiously, like true heathens, as they are; and the desires may imagine all sorts of vain things: but judgment shall still have the last word in every argument, and the casting vote in every decision.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Emily Bronte English Novelist, Poet
- Anne Bronte English Novelist, Poet
- George Eliot (Mary Anne Evans) English Novelist
- Frances Hodgson Burnett British Novelist, Playwright
- Mary Shelley English Novelist
- Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie English Novelist, Biographer
- Mary Elizabeth Braddon English Novelist
- Charles Dickens English Novelist
- Gerard de Nerval French Poet, Writer
- A. S. Byatt English Novelist, Poet