All the world is competent to judge my pictures except those who are of my profession.
Comedy in painting as well as in writing ought to be allotted the first place.
Serious dancing is a contradiction in terms.
I think it is owing to the good sense of the English that they have not painted better.
Take my advice, and never draw caricature.—By the long practice of it I have lost the enjoyment of beauty.—I never see a face but distorted, and never have the satisfaction to behold the human face divine.
I know no such thing as genius; it is nothing but labor and diligence.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Benjamin Haydon English Painter
- William Blake English Poet
- David Hockney British Artist
- Ashleigh Brilliant British Cartoonist
- Daniel Defoe English Writer
- James Abbott McNeill Whistler American Painter, Etcher
- Michelangelo Italian Painter
- Charles M. Schulz American Cartoonist
- Scott Adams American Cartoonist
- Lynda Barry American Cartoonist