Just try and set death aside. It sets you aside, and that’s the end of it!
Death is an old joke, but it comes like new to everyone.
Time sometimes flies like a bird, sometimes crawls like a snail; but a man is happiest when he does not even notice whether it passes swiftly or slowly.
The only people who remain misunderstood are those who either do not know what they want or are not worth understanding.
Whatever a man prays for, he prays for a miracle. Every prayer reduces itself to this: Great God, grant that twice two be not four.
The heart of another is a dark forest.
I believe love produces a certain flowering of the whole personality which nothing else can achieve.
If we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely everything, is ready, we shall never begin.
I share no one’s ideas. I have my own.
However much you knock at nature’s door, she will never answer you in comprehensible words.
Nature is not a temple, but a workshop, and man’s the workman in it.
Most people can’t understand how others can blow their noses differently than they do.
You may live a long while with some people and be on friendly terms with them and never speak openly with them from your soul.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Gerard de Nerval French Poet, Writer
- Alexander Pushkin National Poet of Russia
- Theodore Dreiser American Novelist, Journalist
- George Eliot (Mary Anne Evans) English Novelist
- Anton Chekhov Russian Short Story Writer
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist
- Mikhail Bulgakov Russian Novelist, Dramatist
- Mikhail Lermontov Russian Novelist, Poet
- Maxim Gorky Russian Writer
- Nikolai Gogol Russian Novelist, Dramatist