We regard intelligence as man’s main characteristic and we know that there is no superiority which intelligence cannot confer on us, no inferiority for which it cannot compensate
To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly.
There is no perception that is not full of memories.
Think like a man of action, and act like a man of thought.
Some other faculty than the intellect is necessary for the apprehension of reality.
The only cure for vanity is laughter, and the only fault that is laughable is vanity.
An absolute can only be given in an intuition, while all the rest has to do with analysis. We call intuition here the sympathy by which one is transported into the interior of an object in order to coincide with what there is unique and consequently inexpressible in it. Analysis, on the contrary, is the operation which reduces the object to elements already known.
Spirit borrows from matter the perceptions on which it feeds and restores them to matter in the form of movements which it has stamped with its own freedom.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Jean-Paul Sartre French Philosopher
- Michel Foucault French Philosopher
- Simone de Beauvoir French Philosopher
- Albert Camus Algerian-born French Philosopher
- Voltaire French Philosopher, Author
- Georges Bataille French Essayist, Intellectual
- Jacques Derrida French Philosopher, Literary Theorist
- Gaston Bachelard French Philosopher
- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin French Jesuit Scientist
- Denis Diderot French Philosopher, Writer