We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge of all around us, and the more we gain, the more is our desire; the more we see, the more we are capable of seeing.
I am just learning to notice the different colors of the stars, and already begin to have a new enjoyment.
When we are chafed and fretted by small cares, a look at the stars will show us the littleness of our own interests.
Study as if you were going to live forever; live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
People have to learn sometimes not only how much the heart, but how much the head, can bear.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Alexander Hamilton American Statesman
- James Madison American Statesman, President
- William Ellery Channing American Theologian, Poet
- Edward Everett Hale American Unitarian Clergyman
- Grace Hopper American Mathematician
- Murray Gell-Mann American Physicist
- Archibald Cox American Lawyer
- Steven Weinberg American Physicist
- Daniel Kahneman American-Israeli Psychologist, Economist
- Susan B. Anthony American Civil Rights Leader