We always think every other man’s job is easier than our own. The better he does it, the easier it looks.
Faith is a permanent and vital endowment of the human mind—a part of reason itself. The insane alone are without it.
A Persian carpet or piece of Sheraton makes a distinguished end and bears itself with dignity to the last—as aristocrats before the guillotine. But a Brussels or bit of mid-Victorian will be found to grovel, show its unlovely wounds and scream for pity.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Edward Lear English Humorist, Illustrator
- Terry Pratchett English Fantasy Writer
- Neil Gaiman British Writer
- Laurence Housman English Novelist, Dramatist
- J. R. R. Tolkien British Philologist, Writer
- Thomas Hardy English Novelist, Poet
- Ford Madox Ford English Novelist, Poet, Critic
- Philip Pullman English Children’s Author, Dramatist
- Douglas Adams British Author
- Charles Reade British Author