Life is obstinate and clings closest where it is most hated.
Topics: Life and Living
My dreams were all my own; I accounted for them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed—my dearest pleasure when free.
Elegance is inferior to virtue.
Nothing contributes so much to tranquilizing the mind as a steady purpose-a point on which the soul may fix its intellectual eye.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Mary Elizabeth Braddon English Novelist
- Mary Wollstonecraft English Writer, Feminist
- Charlotte Bronte English Novelist, Poet
- Frances Hodgson Burnett British Novelist, Playwright
- Joan Aiken British Fantasy Writer
- Rose Macaulay British Author
- Charles Dickens English Novelist
- Elizabeth Gaskell English Novelist
- Anne Bronte English Novelist, Poet
- Emily Bronte English Novelist, Poet