Inanimate objects can be classified scientifically into three major categories; those that don’t work, those that break down and those that get lost.
Usually, terrible things that are done with the excuse that progress requires them are not really progress at all, but just terrible things.
So there he is at last. Man on the moon. The poor magnificent bungler! He can’t even get to the office without undergoing the agonies of the damned, but give him a little metal, a few chemicals, some wire and twenty or thirty billion dollars and, vroom! there he is, up on a rock a quarter of a million miles up in the sky.
Live by publicity, you’ll probably die by publicity.
One of the many burdens of the person professing Christianity has always been the odium likely to be heaped upon him by fellow Christians quick to smell out, denounce and punish fraud, hypocrisy and general un-worthiness among those who assert the faith. In ruder days, disputes about what constituted a fully qualified Christian often led to sordid quarrels in which the disputants tortured, burned and hanged each other in the conviction that torture, burning and hanging were Christian things to do.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Henry Adams American Historian
- Norman Mailer American Novelist, Journalist
- David McCullough American Historian
- Annie Dillard American Writer
- Joan Didion American Essayist, Novelist, Memoirist
- B. B. King American Blues Musician
- Robert Altman American Film Director
- William Dean Howells American Writer, Critic
- Joyce Carol Oates American Novelist
- Harvey Williams Cushing American Neurosurgeon, Biographer