It is better for a woman to compete impersonally in society, as men do, than to compete for dominance in her own home with her husband, compete with her neighbors for empty status, and so smother her son that he cannot compete at all.
A woman is handicapped by her sex, and handicaps society, either by slavishly copying the pattern of man’s advance in the professions, or by refusing to compete with man at all.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Gloria Steinem American Feminist
- Susan Sontag American Writer, Philosopher
- Emma Lazarus American Poet, Writer
- Emma Goldman American Anarchist
- Studs Terkel American Oral Historian
- Erica Jong American Novelist, Poet
- Carrie Fisher American Actress
- Joseph Heller American Novelist
- Gertrude Stein American Writer
- Robin Morgan American Activist