If there is no struggle, there is no progress.
For it is not light that is needed, but fire; it is not the gentle shower, but thunder. We need the storm, the whirlwind, and the earthquake. The feeling of the nation must be quickened; the conscience of the nation must be roused; the propriety of the nation must be startled; the hypocrisy of the nation must be exposed; and its crimes against God and man must be proclaimed and denounced.
I know no class of my fellowmen, however just, enlightened, and humane, which can be wisely and safely trusted absolutely with the liberties of any other class
I knew that however bad the Republican party was, the Democratic party was much worse. The elements of which the Republican party was composed gave better ground for the ultimate hope of the success of the colored mans cause than those of the Democratic party.
I recognize the Republican party as the sheet anchor of the colored mans political hopes and the ark of his safety.
I am a Republican, a black, dyed in the wool Republican, and I never intend to belong to any other party than the party of freedom and progress.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Harriet Beecher Stowe American Abolitionist
- Wendell Phillips American Abolitionist
- Lydia Maria Child American Abolitionist
- Susan B. Anthony American Civil Rights Leader
- Sojourner Truth African-American Abolitionist
- Horace Greeley American Elected Rep
- Benjamin Franklin American Founding Father, Inventor
- Booker T. Washington African-American Educationist
- W. E. B. Du Bois American Sociologist, Activist
- William Lloyd Garrison American Abolitionist